Hawkers are a disappearing breed and that old traditional uncle/aunty standing over stoves watching intently the entire day is a sight that is becoming increasingly rare. What more those that have stood the test of time and have become legends; you have to experience these hawkers’ fare before they vanish!
Join us on this exciting hawker exploration tour where your unabashedly self-proclaimed foodie guide brings you through the Amoy Street Food Centre, Maxwell Food Market, and Chinatown Complex to experience the last remaining old-school authentic hawker fare and show you the new breed of hawkers that have sprouted in the area.
Your guide will point out the hawkers that have stood the test of time and Singaporeans’ extremely critical tastebuds! You will learn about their stories, struggles, and how they eventually achieved glory; food is definitely Singapore’s national treasure and our hawkers are heroes! You will have time at the end of the walkthrough of each area to purchase the dishes you wish to have a go at.
Your guide will also show you the new-age hawkers that have come up in this generation; think of new-school coffee and tea beverages and delectable desserts all served up next to their old-school counterparts, providing a stark contrast of Singapore's heritage and its progress over its few short decades as a nation-state.
Along the way, we pass through the shophouse-lined streets of Telok Ayer and Amoy Street which are filled with the hottest new restaurants, bars and cafes and recently voted one of the coolest areas in Singapore!
Chinatown Complex: At Chinatown Complex wet market, our guide points out the unique practices and uncommon live produce you will not be able to find anywhere else such as the snakehead and wolf herring fishes. Kids will definitely marvel at the other products here they never thought could be food!
Maxwell Food Market: At the Maxwell Food Market, you get the opportunity to purchase "Peanut Soup" and Fuzhou Oyster Cakes from arguably the best stalls in Singapore!
Amoy Street Food Centre: Finally, walk off all that energy you just consumed at Amoy Street Hawker Centre where you end off your tour with a bowl of noodles at the Michelin Bib-Gourmand listed A Noodle Story! Pretty sure you are salivating by now!
- 3 hours guided tour of Chinatown by STB Licensed English-Speaking Guide
- Snack items: Traditional Breakfast Yu Tiao or Yam Cake and Soy Bean Drink
- Lunch: Bowl of Noodles at Michelin Bib-Gourmand listed A Noodle Story, a Juice and the famous J8 Curry Puff
- Food items may vary depending on availability and crowd
- Tour Guide System during the tour (transmitter and receiver)
9.20 AM - Meet at Chinatown complex (main entrance facing Buddha Tooth Relic Temple)
9:30 AM - Start of the tour with breakfast at Chinatown complex with allocated time to enjoy the best hawkers
10:15 AM - Tour of Chinatown complex's exotic wet market
11:00 AM - Proceed to Maxwell Food Center
11:45 AM - Proceed to Amoy Street Food Center
12.30 PM - End of tour
Need To Know:
- Due to Covid-Safety regulations, your guide will not be purchasing any food for the group except for those set out below. You will have time at the end of each walkthrough to purchase and enjoy the food.
- Your guide may request for the help of participants to queue for food purchases on a voluntary basis.
- Join in Group / Minimum of 4 persons to go. We will group guests with others and reserve the right to postpone if the minimum number of guests are not met.
- Walking tour / No transportation
- Child rates valid from 3 - 11 years old
- Duration: 3 hours
- Availability: Wednesday and Saturday
- Tour Time: 09:30 AM to 12.30 PM
- 2022 Black-out dates: 01 Jan, 30 Jan-05 Feb, 24 & 25 Dec, 31 Dec (dates are subject to change)
- Meeting point: Chinatown Complex (facing Buddha Tooth Relic Temple)
- Please be at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour start time
- Transfers: No transfer provided to the meeting point
- This tour involves a considerable amount of walking. Wear comfortable shoes
- Bring own umbrella
- Food and Beverages during tour
- Transfers: Please make your own way to the meeting point
Optional transfer rate to/from the meeting point:
S$ 65 nett per van per way (12-seater -driver assistance only)
- Advance Booking is required. Confirmation is subject to availability.
- Prices are in Singapore Dollars, nett and on per person basis
- Validity: From 01 January 2022 to 31 December 2022
- Full payment will be required upon booking
- Booking is non-refundable once confirmed
- No refund for no shows/late arrivals
- Rates are subject to change with two weeks’ notice (should local attractions increase their rates.
- A minimum of 4 consolidated guests (vaccinated) is required for the experience to commence. We reserve the right to reschedule your booking date or provide you with a refund if the minimum number of guests is not met for your booking date.
For Booking Enquiries:
Contact: (65) 8873 6500
Contact us for private tours quotes (FITs, Groups, Corporates) or any other queries
Image Credit: WhyQ