About The Trip
Incredible amounts of nostalgia, good conversation, listening to the melodious Peranakan patois (a charming blend of Hokkien and Malay), and taking in the fragrance of bunga rampay (a potpourri of shredded pandan leaves and flower petals topped with safflower oil).
Sounds like what you are looking for?
Spend a leisurely morning exploring the Peranakan gems hidden in plain sight around the Singapore city. Discover 19th-century Peranakan houses around Petain Road and Neil Road which have been restored to their former glory, bask in the incredibly stylish architecture, furnishings, and the intricately painted ceramic tiles of yesteryear. We then bring you to one of the best-kept secrets around the Chinatown area where you have the chance to shop for traditional enamel “tingkat” sets and hand-drawn porcelain rooster bowls). Finally arrive at True Blue Space, the sister café to True Blue Cuisine, a Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurant located in a conservation shophouse on Armenian Street, adorned with Peranakan-themed treasures and memorabilia. Baba Ben, Owner of True Blue will give you an exclusive insider’s tour of his family’s private gallery on the upper floor of the shophouse. End off your experience with lunch at the True Blue Space. The nostalgia of this experience is sure to linger on you for a long time after!
- 1 Set Lunch at True Blue Space
- National Orchid Garden admission ticket ( Free and easy, while stocks last)
- Transfer by 12 seaters combi
- English Speaking Guide
- Tour Guide System during the tour ( transmitter and receiver)
- Excludes gratuities for guide
Petain Street Peranakan Houses
Take a walk through the fascinating history and stories about the Petain Road 19th century Peranakan houses. Learn about the original Peranakans, their evolution over the years, rich culture, architectural preferences, and take a closer look at the intricate hand-drawn tiles adorning these incredibly desirable homes.
We pass by Neil Road, and make a stop along a row of beautifully restored shophouses. Our guide will explain the history of Neil Road as the grounds of a nutmeg plantation and about the original residents of the area including Singapore’s first head of the botanical experimental gardens, trishaw riders, craftsmen, and even prostitutes who worked in the area.
Spottiswood Park Road
A short walk brings us to the peaceful Spottiswood Park Road which is lined with gorgeous shophouses, including one considered the oldest shophouse with a façade mural in the city. Hidden at a secret location around the back of some of these shophouses are murals by famous local and international artists. Our guide will also point out a famous traditional confectionery store in the area.
Insider’s Secret Traditional Wares Store in Chinatown
We stop by the Chinatown area where you have the chance to shop for traditional kitchen wares not commonly available in these times (think enamel “tingkat” sets and hand-drawn porcelain rooster bowls). Home bakers are sure to go bonkers at this store!
First Botanic Gardens on Armenian Street
Discover a portion of Armenian Street that has been pedestrianized and turned into a park as a key node for the First Botanic Garden. This area showcases plants with strong associations to the first botanical and experimental garden of Singapore back in the day and which provide the flavours to traditional Peranakan dishes.
True Blue Space
Finally arrive at True Blue Space, the sister café to True Blue Cuisine, a Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurant located in a conservation shophouse on Armenian Street. The space is adorned with Peranakan-themed treasures and memorabilia. Baba Ben, restauranteur and Owner of True-Blue, and his personable staff will give you an exclusive insider’s look into his family’s private gallery on the upper floor of the shophouse. This is one not to miss!
End off your experience with a lunch at the True-Blue Space.Important Notes - Tour:
- We will use a 12-seater combi for the tour.
- Everyone must wear masks at all time while onboard – minimal communication
- During the tour, the group of 10 must split into groups, and no intermingling at all time for safe management
- Guide will ensure to observe current prevailing groupsize SMM rule & remain intact throughout the tour with no mingling at all time for safe management
- Guide will accompany the groups through the tour except the session at True Blue Space and lunch
- This tour has many photo-taking opportunities but watch out for traffic as some roads/streets are narrowed There is a shopping stop as part of an experience and it is not your typical tourist shop (nobody gets a commission) but a stop that your grandma, uncles or aunties will enjoy shopping for old schools’ kitchen wares.
- Child rates valid for 3-11 years old
- Duration: 4 hours.
- Availability: Saturday (August 2021)
- Availability: Saturday & Sunday (21 August 2021 onwards)
- Tour Time: 8.45 AM – 12.45 PM
- Please arrive meeting point 10 minutes before the tour schedule
- Meeting point: Outside ToastBox at City Square Mall (Farrer Park MRT Station).
- Transfers: No transfer provided to the meeting point. Tour ends at True Blue, with no transfer back to the meeting point.
- Refunds: Tours are non-refundable once confirmed. No refund for no-shows or late arrivals.
- Currency: Prices are in Singapore dollar, nett on per person basis.
Sedap Set Lunch Menu
- A bowl of Laksa or non-spicy meatball bee-hoon
- Two kueh-kueh tasting portion
- Cheng teng desserts
- Coffee/tea or ginger tea
(In view of the current curbs, there will be no conducted tour at True Blue and no dining in at True Blue Space. Instead, we will offer a packed lunch box )
NO DINE-IN SMM RULING
In the event, should the government impose No Dine-in Safety Management Measures at all food and beverage (F&B) establishment under Covid-19 (Heightened Alert) Rules.
TAKEAWAY meal will be arranged to replace the original dine-in tour component.
Lunch at True Blue Space - replace by:Takeaway Specials from True Blue Space : Bento Set
- Choice of Ayam Pongteh / Beef Rendang / Ayam Buah Keluah (choose 1 )
- Chap Chype
- Steamed Jasmine Rice
- Sambal Belacan
For Booking Enquiries:
Contact: (65) 9665 6292 / (65) 8873 6500
Contact us for private group bookings or any other queries.
- Prices are in Singapore dollar, nett on per person basis
- Full payment will be required upon booking
- Tours are non-refundable once confirmed
- Advance booking is required
A MINIMUM OF CONSOLIDATED 05 GUESTS IS REQUIRED FOR THE TOUR TO COMMENCE. SHOULD THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF GUESTS IS NOT MET ON YOUR REQUESTED BOOKING DATE, WE WILL HAVE THE DISCRETION OF WHETHER TO OPERATE THE TOUR. IF WE DECIDE NOT TO OPERATE, YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO SELECT ANOTHER DATE OR OBTAIN A REFUND