Click HERE to book using your Singapore Rediscovery Voucher!
Katong, also known as Tanjong Katong, is a fairly large residential enclave located in the east of Singapore. It is host to an incredible melting pot of cultures. Back in the 1900s, it was the settlement area for many wealthy Straits Chinese, Europeans, and Jews. Shophouses and architecture reminiscent of that era still line the streets. A stroll through the area throws you back into the nostalgia of yesteryear and at the same time shows you the future what Singapore is really about; food recipes passed down throughout the generations, a kaleidoscope of Peranakan architecture, new-age artists’ homage to the spirit of Katong and the most exciting modern Aussie-styled cafes.
On this journey, we give you an Insiders’ look at some of the oldest establishments still standing in the area. You get to try your hand at one of the oldest culinary crafts, and stop by all that is quintessentially Katong, food-wise! You’ll be so full and yet left salivating for more!
Join us on this journey in discovering the Secrets of the East Coast!
Kway Guan Huat Joo Chiat Original Popiah Workshop
We start off our journey at Kway Guan Huat Joo Chiat Original Popiah & Kueh Pie Tie, where the family continues to take great pride in their long family tradition of making the most authentic Popiah-skins in Singapore.
For over 70 years, they have been making Popiah-skins the traditional way - painstakingly following a secret family recipe handed down from our forefathers in Fujian province, China.
You enter a quaint, humble pre-war shophouse restaurant in the conservation area of Joo Chiat where you get to watch how the Popiah-skin masters twirl dollops of dough in mid-air and coax paper-thin popiah skins out of baked dough on a searing hot pan.
You will be invited to wrap your own popiah with a variety of ingredients, all homemade! At the end of the session, you will get to enjoy fresh, juicy authentic popiah and Kueh Pie Tee.
Kim Choo - Private Boutique Tour/Workshop
Through this experience, you will gain a glimpse into understanding the food & material culture of the Peranakans. You will be given the opportunity to dress into our traditional fashion apparels and be given the chance to observe how traditional sarong kebaya and beaded shoes are being made. Accompanied with a curator, there will also be food samples and drinks offered.
Soon Soon Huat Crispy Curry Puff
You might be full by now but we’re not taking any chances!
We make a pit stop at Soon Soon Huat, one of the area’s best-kept secrets.
Each person will be given two pieces of Soon Soon Huat’s curry puffs, handmade fresh daily by Mui Lan, the third-generation lady boss of the business.
Turtle Cape Mural and Joo Chiat Road
A short walk brings us to Turtle Cape mural, conceptualized by the talented artists of The Ink and Clog Studio, that pays homage to the origins of the name ‘Katong’.
Along the way, your guide shows you where to get the best prawn mee; points out a nonya rice dumpling store that has been a mainstay in the area since 1945; and an old-school bakery that has been around for over 30 years and which will bring back memories of your grandmother’s kitchen. Along the way, our guide will also point out newer establishments in the area that breathe a fresh air of life into the precinct.
Rumah Kim Choo
Interested to find out more about the unique Nanyang heritage? This is your time to gain new experience understanding the food, origins, and material culture of Peranakan in South East Asia.
Koon Seng Road Shophouses
We carry on our journey along a street lined with houses that were built in the 1920s and traditionally inhabited by Peranakan families. Also known as Singapore’s most colourful street, learn about the influence behind the beautiful and iconic architecture of these houses that have their roots in Singapore’s rich immigration history.
Dunman Food Centre
We then stop at Dunman Food Centre, one of the oldest food centres in Singapore. It was originally built in 1974 and small, but packed with some of the best food you can get. Our guide will point out individual stalls and tell you stories of their histories.
(Stop at Dunman Food Centre not applicable from 01Dec 2021 - 28Feb 2022 due renovation)
Eurasian Heritage Gallery
Our final stop takes us to the Eurasian Heritage Gallery where you discover the fascinating histories and culture of the small but vibrant Eurasian community. Learn about the community’s contributions to the community and nation-building through the years.
Best of all, you get to have a meal at Quentin’s Eurasian Restaurant, helmed by Chef Quentin Pereira who learned the art of Eurasian cooking from his grandparents. We are sure you’ll enjoy the meal here!
Note: the above itinerary schedule may differ
- 5 hours guided tour by STB licensed English speaking tour guide
- Transport will be provided for the tour with pick-up and drop off from Eunos MRT Station
- Tour Guide system during the tour (transmitter and receiver)
- Either Kway Guan Huat popiah workshop (including 1 DIY popiah wrapping set, 1 Kueh Pie Tee, 1 drink) OR Kim Choo - Private Boutique Tour/Workshop (including food sampling -take-away only, Nyonya Kueh Demonstration & Peranakan Shoe Beading Demonstration) **Note : DEPENDING ON AVAILABILITY
- 2 pieces of freshly made Soon Soon Huat’s curry puffs
- Admission to Eurasian Heritage Centre and one bento set lunch at Quentin’s Eurasian Restaurant
Need To Know:
- Join in Group / Minimum of 6 persons to go. We will group guests with others and reserve the right to postpone if the minimum number of guests are not met.
- Guided Walking tour with transport provided
- Child rates: valid from 3-11 years
- Availability: Saturday (except Singapore Public Holidays)
- Duration: 5hr
- Tour time: 9.00 Am to 2.00 PM
- Meeting Point: Eunos MRT Station (Exit A)
- Please be at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour schedule
- This tour involves a considerable amount of walking. Wear comfortable shoes
- Gratuities for guide
Transfers: Please make your own way to the meeting point
For Booking Enquiries:
Contact: (65) 8873 6500
Please contact us for private group booking.
- Advanced Booking is required. Booking is subject to availability.
- Prices are in Singapore dollar, nett on per person basis
- Full payment will be required upon booking
- Booking is non-refundable once confirmed
- No refund for no shows/late arrivals
- A minimum of 6 consolidated guests (vaccinated) is required for the experience to commence. We reserve the right to reschedule your booking date or provide you with a refund if the minimum number of guests is not met for your booking date.