Click HERE to book using your Singapore Rediscovery Voucher!
About The Trip
Incredible amounts of nostalgia, good conversation, listening to the melodious Peranakan patois (a charming blend of Hokkien and Malay), and taking in the fragrance of bunga rampay (a potpourri of shredded pandan leaves and flower petals topped with safflower oil).
Sounds like what you are looking for?
Spend a leisurely morning exploring the Peranakan gems hidden in plain sight around Singapore city. Discover 19th-century Peranakan houses around Petain Road and Neil Road which have been restored to their former glory, bask in the incredibly stylish architecture, furnishings, and the intricately painted ceramic tiles of yesteryear. We then bring you to one of the best-kept secrets around the Chinatown area where you have the chance to shop for traditional enamel “tingkat” sets and hand-drawn porcelain rooster bowls). Finally arrive at True Blue Space, the sister café to True Blue Cuisine, a Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurant located in a conservation shophouse on Armenian Street, adorned with Peranakan-themed treasures and memorabilia. Baba Ben, Owner of True Blue will give you an exclusive insider’s tour of his family’s private gallery on the upper floor of the shophouse. End off your experience with lunch at the True Blue Space. The nostalgia of this experience is sure to linger on you for a long time after!
- 4hr guided tour by STB Licensed English Speaking tour guide
- 1 Set Lunch at True Blue Space
- Transfer by 12 seater combi
- Tour Guide System during the tour ( transmitter and receiver)
PETAIN STREET PERANAKAN HOUSES
Take a walk through the fascinating history and stories about the Petain Road 19th century Peranakan houses. Learn about the original Peranakans, their evolution over the years, rich culture, architectural preferences, and take a closer look at the intricate hand-drawn tiles adorning these incredibly desirable homes.
We pass by Neil Road and make a stop along a row of beautifully restored shophouses. Our guide will explain the history of Neil Road as the grounds of a nutmeg plantation and about the original residents of the area including Singapore’s first head of the botanical experimental gardens, trishaw riders, craftsmen, and even prostitutes who worked in the area.
SPOTTISWOOD PARK ROAD
A short walk brings us to the peaceful Spottiswood Park Road which is lined with gorgeous shophouses, including one considered the oldest shophouse with a façade mural in the city. Hidden at a secret location around the back of some of these shophouses are murals by famous local and international artists. Our guide will also point out a famous traditional confectionery store in the area.
INSIDER'S SECRET TRADITIONAL WARES STORE IN CHINATOWN
We stop by the Chinatown area where you have the chance to shop for traditional kitchen wares not commonly available in these times (think enamel “tingkat” sets and hand-drawn porcelain rooster bowls). Home bakers are sure to go bonkers at this store!
FIRST BOTANIC GARDENS ON ARMENIAN STREET
Discover a portion of Armenian Street that has been pedestrianized and turned into a park as a key node for the First Botanic Garden. This area showcases plants with strong associations to the first botanical and experimental garden of Singapore back in the day and which provide the flavours to traditional Peranakan dishes.
TRUE BLUE SPACE
Finally arrive at True Blue Space, the sister café to True Blue Cuisine, a Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurant located in a conservation shophouse on Armenian Street. The space is adorned with Peranakan-themed treasures and memorabilia. Baba Ben, restauranteur and Owner of True-Blue, and his personable staff will give you an exclusive insider’s look into his family’s private gallery on the upper floor of the shophouse. This is one not to miss!
End off your experience with a lunch at the True-Blue Space. (No transfer will be provided back to the meeting point.)
Sedap Set Lunch Menu:
- A bowl of Laksa or non-spicy meatball bee-hoon
- Two kueh-kueh tasting portion
- Nyonya Cup Jelly
- Coffee/tea or ginger tea
Need To Know:
- Join in Group / Minimum of 6 persons to go. We will group guests with others and reserve the right to postpone if the minimum number of guests are not met.
- Child rates: valid for 3-11 years old
- Availability: Saturday
- Tour Time: 8.45 AM – 12.45 PM
- Duration: 4 hours.
Meeting point: Outside ToastBox at City Square Mall (Farrer Park MRT Station).
- Please arrive meeting point 10 minutes before the tour schedule.
- Everyone must wear masks at all times while onboard – minimal communication
- During the tour, the group must split into groups, and no intermingling at all times for safe management
- The guide will ensure to observe the current prevailing group size SMM rule & remain intact throughout the tour with no mingling at all times for safe management
- The guide will accompany the group through the tour except for the session at True Blue Space and lunch
- This tour has many photo-taking opportunities but watches out for traffic as some roads/streets are narrowed
- There is a shopping stop as part of an experience and it is not your typical tourist shop (nobody gets a commission) but a stop that your grandma, uncles, or aunties will enjoy shopping for old schools’ kitchen wares.
NO DINE-IN SMM RULING
In the event, should the government impose No Dine-in Safety Management Measures at all food and beverage (F&B) establishments under Covid-19 (Heightened Alert) Rules.
A TAKE-AWAY meal will be arranged to replace the original dine-in tour component.
Lunch at True Blue Space - replace by:
TAKE-AWAY Specials from True Blue Space: Bento Set
- Choice of Ayam Pongteh / Beef Rendang / Ayam Buah Keluah (choose 1 )
- Chap Chype
- Steamed Jasmine Rice
- Sambal Belacan
- Gratuities for guide
- Transfers: Please make your own way to the meeting point. Tour ends at True Blue Space No transfer will be provided back to the meeting point.
For Booking Enquiries:
Contact: (65) 8873 6500
Contact us for private group bookings or any other queries.
- Advance booking is required. Confirmation is subject to availability.
- Prices are in Singapore dollar, nett on per person basis
- Full payment will be required upon booking
- Booking is non-refundable once confirmed
- No refund for no shows/late arrivals
- Rates are subject to change with two weeks’ notice (should local attractions increase their rates.
- A minimum of 6 consolidated guests (vaccinated) is required for the experience to commence. We reserve the right to reschedule your booking date or provide you with a refund if the minimum number of guests is not met for your booking date.