This Product Listing comprises 2 separate Experiences which can be booked on different dates:
A. Dignity Kitchen Cook, Bake and Makan Experience; and
B. Chinatown - A Journey to our Heritage
The date selection above you have to select is for the Dignity Kitchen Cook, Bake, and Makan Experience. Do drop us an email or phone call to arrange the other Tour.
Dignity Kitchen - Cook, Bake & Makan Experience
Dignity Kitchen is Asia’s very first Community Food Court managed by people with disabilities. The Kitchen exudes a ray of light for its staff, with statistics showing that only 5 out of every 100 disabled persons in Singapore are employed. Here, staff are given comprehensive training, employment, and provided with lifelong skills to enable them to cast their nets wide into the world.
What’s more amazing about this place is the food! Think of super lemak laksa with sambal that will put traditional hawkers to shame, a particularly moreish rojak made with hae-ko (prawn paste) sourced from Malacca, Kolo Mee, Claypot Rice and Nasi Lemak.
The Kitchen is particularly novel in its methods of assisting staff with creating these incredible dishes. These include a pocket vibration notification tool that assists the hearing-impaired and specific training for the visually impaired on how to measure the size of notes and coins.
Combining our passion for hawker food, experiences, and a mission of engaging with communities that have been marginalized, Origin Journeys and Dignity Kitchen bring to you the Cook, Bake & Makan Experience!
On this exciting experience fit for all, you will learn about a day in the life of staff as well as partake in their wonderful creations.
You will be taught how to order your favorite cup of kopi-o, teh-c and kopi siu dai in sign language and actually practice what you have learned at the drink stall!
After that, challenge yourself with a draw-in-the-dark competition. This gives you an idea of the difficulty in getting work done without sight and how important a partner and community really is to a differently-abled person.
Finally, learn how to prepare all that delicious food from the pros! Your differently-abled partner will guide you in the preparation of two food items. Enjoy your own creation thereafter!
Contact us for Private Team-Bonding, CSR Programmes, and Group Bookings.
Chinatown- A Journey into our Heritage
Looking to spend some quality bonding time with your kids out of the house, have them learn a little more about the original landing place for Singapore's early Chinese settlers their enclave, its progression into the current modern iteration, and enjoy great food along the way? Then read on!
Let our guide take you through the nooks and crannies of Chinatown and help you uncover the gems that dot the area as you learn about the importance of Chinatown throughout Singapore’s history and its transition through the decades.
Your professional guide is sure to keep your kids engaged with well-researched historical facts and stories along the way! Your guide begins the journey with stories of days old; you get to hear about opium dens, the underbelly, and the triads that once ruled. You’ll also learn about the modern businesses that continue to thrive in these areas today and stop by the iconic landmarks as well as the lesser-known secret spots.
- ^Cook, Bake, Makan Tour at Dignity Kitchen ™
- ^^Chinatown – A Journey into our Heritage Tour
Need to know
^Cook, Bake & Makan Session at Dignity Kitchen ™
- Program Flow:
9.00 am Guests will register at the Origin Journeys’ signage located at the Cashier Counter in Dignity Kitchen Food Court;
9.15 am Short Presentation and Tour of Dignity Kitchen by the Event Facilitator;
9.30 am Participants will begin with Introduction to Sign Language and order their beverage using the signs demonstrated They will be served with a freshly baked muffin or pandan cake together with their coffee/tea
10.00 am Draw in the Dark activity – 2 participants per team;
10.30 am Hygiene briefing and distribution of Hairnets, gloves & aprons. Cook, Bake & Makan session commences with preparation of two food items guided by differently-abled staff and facilitated by the Events team;
12.00 nn Participants will enjoy the dishes prepared plus Q&A
12.30 pm Farewell & Departure
- Child rates valid for 7-11 years old accompanied by an adult
- Duration: 3.5 hours
- Availability: Friday & Saturday
- Duration: 3.5 hrs (9.00 AM to 12.30 PM or 2.00 PM to 5.30 PM on Fridays or Saturdays
- Please arrive meeting point 10 minutes before the tour schedule
- Meeting point: Dignity Kitchen™ - 69 Boon Keng Rd #01 Red Building (S) 339772
- Nearest MRT: Boon Keng MRT, Exit C
- Transfers: No transfer provided to the meeting point.
- Refunds: Tours are non-refundable once confirmed. No refund for no-shows or late arrivals.
- Currency: Prices are in Singapore dollar, nett on per person basis.
^^Chinatown – A Journey into our Heritage Tour (includes)
- 2 hours guided tour of Chinatown
- Snack items
- Souvenir item
- English-Speaking Guide
- Tour Guide System during the tour (transmitter and receiver)
09:30 AM - Meet up at Telok Ayer MRT Station Exit A (Ground Level)
09:35 AM - Proceed for Chinatown Learning Journey:
- Telok Ayer (history/overview/food / heritage)
- Thian Hock Keng Temple
- Ann Siang Hill
- Club Street
- Murals in Chinatown
- SouthBridge Road to emphasize 4 major religions on the same street/multi-cultures / harmonious living
11:00 AM - Food Sampling at Famous Traditional Coffee Joint and a Local Coffee Brewing Experience
- DIY Traditional Coffee Brewery Experience
- 1 Pot of coffee for two persons
- Traditional Kaya Toast
- Souvenir to bring home as a memento
11:30 AM - End of tour
- Child rates valid from 3 - 11 years old
- Duration: 2 hours
- Availability: Saturday and Sunday
- Tour Time: 09:30 AM to 11:30 AM
- Meeting point: Telok Ayer MRT Station Exit A (Ground Level)
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour schedule
- Transfers: No transfer provided to the meeting point
- Tour Ends at Nanyang Old Coffee. No transfer will be provided back to the meeting point
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Bring own umbrella
For Booking Enquiries:
Contact: (65) 9665 6292 / (65) 8873 6500
A MINIMUM OF CONSOLIDATED 04 GUESTS IS REQUIRED FOR TOUR TO COMMENCE. SHOULD THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF GUESTS IS NOT MET ON YOUR REQUESTED BOOKING DATE, WE WILL HAVE THE DISCRETION WHETHER TO OPERATE THE TOUR. IF WE DECIDE NOT TO OPERATE, YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO SELECT ANOTHER DATE OR OBTAIN A REFUND.