Fascinated by the Singapore housing story? How did we go from slums to enviable housing for all in 50 years? Walk through a wet market, a hawker centre and a HDB home and meet with the families. See where locals live!
At the heart of it all, this tour is about the homes of Singaporeans. But we start out at Chinatown Heritage Centre, where you will be transported back in time to the 1950s and 60s where cramped squatter living in shophouses were the way of life. What are Housing Development Board (HDB) apartment flats where 85% of locals live? You will marvel at how we painstaking plan our land use e.g. how we accommodate our skyscrapers; build our homes; plan our garden city or even what we think of when we bury our dead, among the many things city planners have to consider.
Then we visit a HDB home and meet with the family and learn everything there is to know about life in Singapore. This is an exclusive arrangement we have with the home owners. Learn about different HDB home types, why cats are not allowed to be kept as pets, and try home-made snacks or desserts like chendol or bubur chacha, and generally talk to the owners and see how the average person lives in the Singapore of today.
Walk through a typical wet market found in most neighbourhoods and experience the vibe and energy of a core part of a typical day in the life of a local. Meet locals, eat local food, see local building types. Doesn’t get more real than this. To fully experience Singapore, is to dive deep into where locals live, shop, eat and mingle and experience a typical Singaporean neighbourhood.
Need To Know:
- Duration: 4 hours
- Availability: Monday and Thursday
- Tour Time : 1.00PM – 5.00PM
- Meeting Point : Chinatown Heritage Centre
- Ending Point : Newton Food Centre Car Park
- Please be at the meeting point 10 minutes before tour schedule
- Transfers: No transfer provided to meeting point
- Admission to Chinatown Heritage Centre
- Home-made dessert
- Private HDB home visit
- Mineral Water
- Local Snacks and Refreshments
- Gratuities for guide
For Booking Enquiries:
Contact: (65) 9665 6292 / (65) 8873 6500
- No refund for no shows or late arrivals.
- Prices are in Singapore dollar, nett on per person basis
- Full payment will be required upon booking
- Tours are non-refundable once confirmed
- Rates are subject to change with two weeks’ notice (should local attractions increase their rates
- ^ Advance booking is required for the tour
A MINIMUM OF 4 GUESTS IS REQUIRED FOR TOUR TO COMMENCE. SHOULD THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF GUESTS IS NOT MET ON YOUR REQUESTED BOOKING DATE, WE WILL HAVE THE DISCRETION WHETHER TO OPERATE THE TOUR. IF WE DECIDE NOT TO OPERATE, YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO SELECT ANOTHER DATE OR OBTAIN A REFUND.
Chinatown Heritage Centre
48 Pagoda St, Singapore 059207