Most of us associate the talented Hainanese population as having introduced Chicken Rice and Nanyang Coffee to us but there is much more to this distinct dialect group than we think!
The Hainanese first came to Singapore in the 1800s as merchants, trading in goods such as paper products and medicinal herbs. They however only started emigrating to Singapore much later than their Hokkien, Teochew, and Cantonese counterparts. This resulted in them finding employment in restaurants and in hospitality since sectors such as trade and commerce were already saturated. These circumstances probably explained why the Hainanese became well-versed in cooking and other hospitality endeavors such as bartending. Did you know that the Singapore Sling was created in 1915 by a Hainanese bartender Ngiam Tong Boon at Raffles Hotel Singapore?
There are more incredible stories to be told of the Hainanese people who congregated around the Bugis and Cityhall area. The Hainanese culture in these areas are is still very much alive today. On this journey, we discover Middle Road, Purvis Street, and Seah Street; colloquially known to the Hainanese community as the Hainan First Street, Second Street, and Third Street. Visit the popular Hainanese food haunts such as the Sing Swee Kee Restaurant and YY Kafei Dian. Listen to stories of yesteryear and how the innovative descendants of the Hainanese operate today as captains of industry in a vast variety of fields. We also get a very special insider’s look into the Raffles Singapore and visit the uber-popular SunnyHills store for tea. Come hungry!
Participants get to bring home a little bit of treasure exclusively from the Raffles Singapore!
We commence our afternoon at SunnyHills for a special Tea Experience where you are introduced to your guide and the events of the day while you savour the very best that SunnyHills has to offer.
SunnyHills’ story begins in the rugged countryside of the Bagua Mountain in central Taiwan where the incredibly flavourful indigenous pineapple variety grows on the harsh red earth characteristic of the land. Native farmers toil all day under the hot sun throughout the year harvesting only the best of the crop by hand.
Today, the SunnyHills tea house, a hidden gem along the Seah Street brings you the taste of these pineapples, responsibly sourced from the Bagua Mountain native farmers and presented in the best possible manner - SunnyHills’ Pineapple Cakes is based on a recipe refined by their Master Baker over the past 50 years.
This Tea Set includes a D24 durian love letter (1 roll) + 1 pineapple cake & 1 cup of cold brew Tea.
Our guide takes you on a slow walk through the Hainan First Street (Middle Road), Hainan Second Street (Purvis Street), and Hainan Third Street (Seah Street). Along the way, you learn about the original inhabitants of the shophouses which still proudly stand today, and about the food and commerce that characterizes these streets.
We proceed to Sing Swee Kee Restaurant for a Chicken Rice workshop. Learn a thing or two about the secret methods employed to create each component of the Chicken Rice dish and prepare your Chicken Rice meal in an entirely novel way; in a cake form! Sing Swee Kee’s chef will then prepare a number of other side dishes for you to savor with your meal.
Sing Swee Kee was founded in 2001. As its popularity grew among locals and foreign visitors, Sing Swee Kee expanded its premises into a full-service restaurant, retaining its roots in Seah Street, directly opposite the iconic Raffles Hotel.
While its menu has expanded over time, its tender, juicy Hainanese blanched chicken, paired with fragrant Chicken Rice along with chili sauce and green ginger puree based on secret home recipes formulated and mastered by their Hainanese pioneers are the mainstays that keep loyal locals and overseas customers flocking back to the restaurant.
*Includes Chicken Rice Cake Workshop (45 mins demo + workshop) + sampling dishes of Spring Roll, Pipa Tofu and Xiao Bai Chye + Glass of Barley (Hot/Cold)
*$5 off for any purchase of minimum S$30 (not valid with other discounts)
We get inside access to the historical grounds of the Raffles Singapore and its interior compound. Our guide tells us the history and significance of each of the areas and characters within the compound, from the six-meter tall ornate Cast-Iron Fountain which was built in the 1890s, the Sir Stamford Raffles Statue, the Raffles Doormen to the iconic Façade which once faced the sea. Listen to stories about the fabled hotel from the last tiger in Singapore seeking refuge in the Bar & Billiard room to the rich and famous who once patronized the Long Bar.
We end off this exciting journey with a shopping extravaganza at the Raffles Boutique. The Raffles Boutique’s entrance is cast in metal gates that have been retained as historical artifacts after the hotel’s second restoration in 2019 and which is a sight to behold! The Raffles Boutique features a brand new retail concept where shoppers will be able to browse well-loved souvenirs and gourmet products that are set amidst a heritage gallery that showcases the illustrious heritage of Raffles Hotel Singapore. Get the chance to shop for precious gifts here at special prices! You will also leave this journey with a beautiful memento in the form of a thoughtfully crafted enamel Singapore Sling keychain!
- 4 hr guided tour by STB Licensed English Speaking tour guide
- Afternoon Tea Snack at SunnyHills (include 1 cup of hot brew tea with a pineapple cake + a D24 durian love letter)
- Sing Swee Kee’s Chef OR Restaurant’s Manager to share briefly on the story of Seah Street and Hainanese influence
- Chicken Rice Workshop
- A set of chicken rice cake , side dishes of spring roll, pipa tofu and xiao bai chye + a cup of barley drink
- Raffles Hotel Key Chain (one per person)
- Tour Guide System during the tour (transmitter and receiver)
Need To Know:
- Join in Group / Minimum of 4 persons to go. We will group guests with others and reserve the right to postpone if the minimum number of guests are not met.
- Walking Tour / No transportation
- Child rates: valid from 3 - 11 years old
- Availability: Wednesday, Saturdays
- Tour Time: 2.00 PM – 6.00 PM (Afternoon Tour)
- Duration: 4 hours
- 2022 Black-out dates: 01-03 Jan, 29 Jan-04 Feb, 24-27 Dec, 31 Dec, and ALL Local Public Holidays (dates are subject to change)
- Meeting point: Sunny Hills (3 Seah St, Singapore 188379)
- Please be at the meeting point 10 minutes before tour start time
- Wear comfortable shoes, need a lot of walking
- Bring own umbrella
NO DINE-IN SMM RULING
In the event, should the government impose No Dine-in Safety Management Measures at all food and beverage (F&B) establishments under Covid-19 (Heightened Alert) Rules.
The TAKE-AWAY meal will be arranged to replace the original dine-in tour component under Origin Journeys’ Hainanese Heritage Tour.^Afternoon Tea Snack at SunnyHills - replace by:
TAKE-AWAY Hi-Tea Set
- D24 Durian Love Letter (1 roll)
- Pineapple Tart (1 tart)
- Cool Brewed Oolong Tea (1 cup)
TAKE-AWAY Chicken Rice Bento Menu + chef will demo 1 set chicken rice cake
- Choice of Roasted/ White Chicken with steamed rice
- Choice of Spring Roll/ Thai Tofu
- Choice of Xiao Bai Chye/ Beansprouts
- Choice of 1 bottle of chili sauce / green ginger sauce
Note : in the event if any product is out of stock - it will be replaced to another item of same of higher value.
- Gratuities for guide
- Transfers: Please make your own way to the meeting point
Optional transfer rate to/from the meeting point:
S$ 65 nett per van per way (12-seater -driver assistance only)
- Advance booking is required. Confirmation is subject to availability.
Prices are in Singapore Dollars, nett and on per person basis
- Validity: From 01 January 2022 to 31 December 2022
- Full payment will be required upon booking
- Booking is non-refundable once confirmed
- No refund for no shows/late arrivals
- Rates are subject to change with two weeks’ notice (should local attractions increase their rates.
- A minimum of 4 consolidated guests (vaccinated) is required for the experience to commence. We reserve the right to reschedule your booking date or provide you with a refund if the minimum number of guests is not met for your booking date.
For Booking Enquiries:
Contact: (65) 8873 6500
Contact us for private tours quotes (FITs, Groups, Corporates) or any other queries.
Image Credit: SunnyHills / Sing Swee Kee/ Raffles Singapore