Rediscover the hidden vestiges of Singapore's history on this leisurely evening experience around our Central District!
We begin our journey with a hearty dinner at the famed New Ubin Restaurant located at CHIJMES with a menu selected by the proprietor of the business – each of these dishes represent our perennial local favourites with the Ubin twist. New Ubin was established with humble beginnings, serving kampong-style seafood over three decades ago, and today is a Michelin Bib Gourmand recipient. Menu items are indicated below*.
As you have your fill, our guide whets your intellectual curiosity in preparation for the evening ahead. Your guide will take you on a walk around the CHIJMES compound after your meal to walk off that heaviness. You will get a look at the CHIJMES complex and learn a little more about it's history. The complex was used as a Catholic convent since 1852. The Caldwell House is currently a wedding venue and the Gothic-style chapel, renamed as CHIJMES Hall, is currently a function hall and also a wedding venue. Both have been gazetted as national monuments and have been featured in the movie Crazy Rich Asians!
We’ll take a leisurely walk over to the storied Raffles Hotel where we get a closer look into the grounds of the grand dame. Hear about stories typically untold and of famous patrons that have graced its wondrous halls. You will also get a chance to shop at the Raffle Boutique if time permits, with a very exclusive Origin Journeys' Insider discount. The Raffles Boutique provides a unique experience that takes shoppers back in time. Featuring a retail concept that embraces luxury and heritage, shoppers are able to browse through well-loved souvenirs, home decorations as well as gourmet products set amidst a heritage gallery specially curated to reflect the rich and illustrious history of Raffles Hotel Singapore as one of Singapore’s key icons for over a century.
Following that, ride in comfort to the Clarke Quay area where your guide points out landmarks that have stood the test of time, and tells you stories of days old. The Singapore River has been the centre of trade since modern Singapore was founded in 1819. During the colonial era, Boat Quay was the commercial centre where barge lighters would transport goods upstream to warehouses at Clarke Quay. At the height of its prosperity, dozens of bumboats jostled for mooring space beside Clarke Quay. This continued well into the later half of the 20th century. We’ll get to ride on one of these restored rustic bumboats along the Singapore River and you’ll get to see Singapore from a unique vantage point only available from a distance out.
The Singapore skyline has changed drastically over the last few years and a ride on these iconic bumboats along the historic Singapore River waterway allows us to preserve the heritage of this modern river and gives you the opportunity to reminisce time past. We promise you’ll fall in love with our country and marvel at what it has transformed into over the years!
This is an experience fit for the entire family; both young and old are bound to discover something new!
*Enjoy a hearty dinner at New Ubin Restaurant at CHIMJES
- Traditional Pork Satay
- Broccoli with oyster sauce and crispy garlic
- Boss Bee Hoon
- Classic Chilli Crab^
- Deep-Fried Man Tou
- New Ubin's special Fresh Kaya in Toasted Baguette
- Steamed Jasmine Rice
- Free-flow Chinese Tea
1. Above menu is plated for 2 paxs sharing.
2. Menu may change without prior notice from time to time
3. ^Chilli Crab -approximately 400gm
- 3.5 hr guided tour by STB Licensed English speaking tour guide
- Vehicle from Raffles Hotel to Clarke Quay
- Singapore River Bumboat Cruise (40mins)
- Dinner at New Ubin Restaurant in Chijmes
- Tour Guide System during the tour (transmitter and receiver for Covid-19 Safety)
Need To Know:
Join in Group / Minimum of 6 persons to go. We will group guests with others and reserve the right to postpone if the minimum number of guests are not met.
By foot, air conditioned combi /coach, bumboat
- Availability: Tuesday, Friday, Saturday (exclude eve of Public Holidays, Public Holidays, special occasions ie. Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day)
- Tour Time: 5.30 PM - 9.00 PM
- Duration: 3.5 hours.
- 2022 Black-out dates: 01 Jan / 14 Jan-15 Feb / 08 May / 19 Jun & ALL Public Holidays & Eve: 14-15 Apr / 30 Apr - 03 May / 14-16 May / 09-11 Jul / 08-09 Aug / 23-24 Oct / 24-26 Dec / 31 Dec (dates are subject to change)
- Meeting Point : CHIJMES - Entrance facing Raffles Hotel
- Please arrive meeting point 10 minutes before the tour start time.
Ending Point : Clarke Quay. Tour ends at Clarke Quay, no transfer back to the meeting point
- What to wear : Casual. Comfortable Walking Shoes. This tour involves a considerable amount of walking.
- We will use a 12-seater combi for the tour
- Everyone must wear masks at all time while on board – minimal communication
- During the tour, the group must split into groups in accordance with Singapore Covid-19 Safety Regulations
- Guide will ensure that prevailing SMM group size rule is observed & remained intact throughout the tour with no mingling at all time for safe management
- Gratuities for guide
- Additional Beverages or dishes during dinner
- Transfers: Please make your own way to the meeting point. Tour ends at Clarke Quay, no transfer back to the meeting point
Optional transfer rate to/from the meeting point:
S$ 65 nett per van per way (12-seater -driver assistance only)
- Advance booking is required. Confirmation is subject to availability.
- Prices are in Singapore Dollars, nett and on per person basis
- Validity: From 01 January 2022 to 31 December 2022
- Full payment will be required upon booking
- Booking is non-refundable once confirmed
- No refund for no shows/late arrivals
- Rates are subject to change with two weeks’ notice (should local attractions increase their rates.
- A minimum of 6 consolidated guests (vaccinated) is required for the experience to commence. We reserve the right to reschedule your booking date or provide you with a refund if the minimum number of guests is not met for your booking date.
For Booking Enquiries:
Contact: (65) 8873 6500
Contact us for private tours quotes (FITs, Groups, Corporates) or any other queries.
Image Credit : New Ubin Restaurant / Raffles Hotel / CHIJMES / Singapore River Cruise / Singapore Tourism Board
Updated : 07/02/2022